Thursday, April 11, 2013

Holiday Troubles


Lehigh is a nondenominational school, as anyone who attends could tell you.  To someone unfamiliar with Lehigh, though, being unaffiliated with any religion might mean that Lehigh avoids any involvement with religion.  This, however, is very far from the truth.  Lehigh permits clubs for various denominations, allows any type of worship in Packer Memorial Church and takes the stance of allowing any religious belief rather than restricting the student body from all beliefs.  The positives of this view point are numerous.  From a rights perspective, every person has the ability to practice whatever set of beliefs they see fit.  From an academic perspective, there is no requirement to take classes pertaining to a certain religion.  Coming from a Catholic elementary school and high school where theology was easily the most boring of my classes each year, I especially appreciated this aspect.

Despite the positive aspects of Lehigh’s acceptance of all beliefs, there is one major drawback.  By accommodating all religions, Lehigh puts itself in a tough position to be accommodating for particular religions on especially important holidays.  Take Judaism, for example.  Judaism’s most serious holy day, Yom Kippur, fell on Wednesday, September 26th last semester.  The very next day was the first day of four o’clock exams.  While this timing was unusual and unfortunate, the fact remains that someone Jewish would have a very difficult time observing this “Day of Atonement.”  Yom Kippur involves fasting as well as taking the day off from work or school.  Although most professors are very understanding, Lehigh cannot accommodate Jewish students on this holy day by giving them the day off.  If Lehigh did, there would no doubt be uproar anytime a different religion needed a day off for a holiday.  This fact left Jewish students in the position last semester where, on a day meant for reflection and penance, they had to worry about missing class and about an exam the next day.

As for myself, I only recently began thinking about this issue when I encountered a religious conflict of my own.  Holy Week is the most important week in the Christian calendar.  In particular, Good Friday and Easter Sunday of Holy Week are very important.  In my experience at Lehigh, it is an inconvenience that we are not given off for either Good Friday nor the Monday following Easter.  For people with classes on Friday and early on Monday, like myself, going home to celebrate the most holy and joyous day in Christianity with family becomes a terse and stressful experience.  Easter Sunday becomes a rushed event, worrying about getting back to school for classes the next day.  To make matters especially bad this semester, Good Friday fell on March 29th, with Easter Sunday landing on March 31st. This year has had such magnificent timing that, like Yom Kippur, both holy days fell during four o’clock exam time. I was faced with the difficult decision of whether or not to go home to be with my family. I would barely be home two days, spending all of Saturday home but only getting to enjoy some of Friday and Sunday with my family. Then there was the fact that I had an exam on Monday that would be difficult to study for while celebrating with relatives. Ultimately, I decided to go home because I value spending time with my family during the holidays. Whether or not I will regret the decision remains to be seen (at the time of my writing this I have yet to take my Monday exam), but it is upsetting to me that it is so difficult to go home for such an important time without feeling guilty that my time could be better spent preparing for exams the next week.  Part of me understands why Lehigh can’t do anything, but another part of me wishes Lehigh would make it easier for any religion to observe their most important holidays.

There is no clear solution to these issues that arise as a result of organized religion.  Lehigh offers so many great opportunities for everyone to practice their belief system of choice, and I do not mean to sound ungrateful for those opportunities in writing this article.  I am very happy with my decision to be at Lehigh and aim not to complain, but rather raise the question: by accommodating every religion, can Lehigh really accommodate any religion when it really matters?  I like to believe there is some way, but it’s times like these when I’m rushing back to Lehigh after a hurried Easter dinner that make me frustrated it hasn’t been found yet.

-Colin Orr '15

No comments:

Post a Comment